Translate

Monday 21 November 2016

Vancouver BC Canada Part 1: True North Jiu-Jitsu and My Host

Greetings from Vancouver!


I will never tire of this view, every time I go to or come from the Sunshine Coast.

I'm half way through my stay here in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and things are going great! With all the different clubs I'm visiting and the interviews I'm doing I figured I would break the Vancouver post into two segments. I'll probably do this a for a number of cities I visit, this way I can make smaller more usual posts and spread out all the videos. I've also decided to space the posts out and publish one a week, rather then every time I write it up, which would put me at 3 this week. So going forth, Monday will be my target release day.

The Host, Rodrigo

This is actually my first stay with someone I didn't already know, either from training with them, as a friend or family. We only really met maybe a month ago on Facebook after Kyoshi Seamark asked around at his Vancouver dojo if anyone would be wiling to host me for the few days I'm in town. Being a great guy, Rodrigo offered me a place to stay, and has been making me feel right at home. Rodrigo trains Kokodo and is one of Kyoshi Seamark's longest students, having first started training with him in the late 90's. It was really cool to sit down and talk with Rodrigo the first night at his place and listen to the progression of the Sadohana Dojo and all the changes and different students he has seen over the years. Rodrigo is a very laid back, easy going guy and he's lived in the same place for a number of years, fixing and adding to it over time to really make it his home for his family. The place has a warm welcoming feel and it makes me feel like I'm visiting a relative. The family happened to be visiting back home in Costa Rica for most of my stay, making my visit timed perfectly for a quiet place or me not having to worry disturbing anyone at night when I come back late or just stay up typing up my experiences. Although when they did come home I felt guilty for stealing his son's bed for the time I was there, he had no problem with it though, being happy to help a guest. It's also cool that Rodrigo's place is just a few blocks away from the dojo as well, so it was easy enough just to walk over when I made it to class. One night after training all us, myself, Rodrigo and his kids, went out for dinner and a movie, they took me to a sushi place they frequent to and ordered a bunch of things I've never tired before. Since, I'm on this journey of a lifetime I told myself I'd try new things, might as well start now! Apparently eel isn't that bad after all. I've been treated so well staying with Rodrigo and his family these days I really feel blessed to have such great friends to make this possible. Thank you for all your hospitality, Rodrigo I don't think I can ever repay you!

Finally got a picture with Rodrigo before leaving. Thank you for everything, Sir, such an awesome host! 

True North Jiu-Jitsu Academy

They're stretching before class, I'm over here taking selfies, #BJJgoals

 The newly named True North Jiu-Jitsu Academy was, until recently, a Ribeiro affiliate school. Deciding to branch out on his own, Prof. Giacomo Zanini, the head instructor and owner of the academy, made the name change on go along with his new endeavors. Over the past year I've heard from many of my Jiu-Jitsu peers and mentors to drop by Prof. Giacomo's if I had the chance. After looking at the different school schedules it was decided, Wednesday evening would be the one and only time I could make it out to finally meet Prof. Giacomo and check out his class. I've kept in contact with the Professor for the last while, with always an intent for making it to his place for a class for two when in town. Earlier Wednesday I contacted him and asked if he would be up for doing an interview about BJJ with me, and graciously he accepted. Excited I packed my things and made my way through rush hour traffic on the city transit to Prof. Giacomo's club, located just outside Vancouver in Coquitlam. Once I got there I realized it was going to an intermediate class. Prof. Giacomo has broken his classes into 3 sections, beginner, intermediate, and advanced, with the beginners working primarily on movements rather than submissions, and it gradually getting more complex until the advanced classes which work more submissions and transitions. I was happy to in the intermediate class as the Professor is known for his fundamental movement drills and I could always use help in that department.

Class photo at True North, love the lineage on the wall!

The class was mostly white belts and had a very relaxed feel to it. That was one thing I noticed from the start, the welcoming vibe the club had, I felt very comfortable walking in for the first time and meeting everyone. Before class Prof. Giacomo introduced me and had me give a short explanation of my journey and it's purpose, which was fun. It's always funny to see people's reactions when I tell them about Panda's Odyssey and my intentions, I know, this is a crazy idea. Once class started we did a lot of drills with partners, the drills were very creative with incorporating all sorts of hip movement drills in with self defense scenarios. Without even rolling it was a good work out for me. Watching Giacomo teach was impressive, you easily see the passion he has for Jiu-Jitsu as he taught. His eyes lit up and his voice was louder, and he was excited to show every little detail. The signs of a man truly dedicated to the art. It was a privilege to be in his class. After class we took a group picture and the Professor and I sat down and did an interview together. In the interview we go over about his epic journey from young IBJJF World's competitor in Brazil to eventually finding his way to Vancouver BC Canada, as well as his thoughts on training goals for beginners and how to fight the 'Blue Belt Blues'. Check out the video below:      


In case the video doesn't work for you, the link for it on my YouTube channel is HERE. (Subscribe to the channel why you're at it please!)

Obligatory post interview selfie with Prof. Giacomo. 

During the video you can here the sounds of people being thrown and see the camera shake a little. While chatting we were watching two students work on their Judo throws, and given and awesome floating floor that the club has there it was pretty impressive. I can see doing Judo on those mats being really fun!

Close up on the class photo, everyone's so serious, lots of pride. 

So that's in for now. The next post will have my experiences for rest of my stay here in Vancouver, and what ever I get up to, and will cover the other clubs I plan on visiting: The Sadohana Dojo Vancouver, and a club recently referred to me, Champions Martial Arts Academy.

Until next time, see you all on the mats!
Osss!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there...Mixing martial arts have been going on forever in the history of fighting arts around the world. In fact, most systems of martial arts were invented based on a combination and modification of existing arts. Take judo for example, it was founded by Kano based on the combination and modification of many different styles of jujitsu.Take a look at-Martial arts Laois

    ReplyDelete