Translate

Saturday 13 August 2016

New Video, Crowd Funding Page and New Blog Look

Hey everyone!

I got a bunch of news to make but I'm going to try and keep it short. I got a new video I did last week while at a summer Jiu-Jitsu camp, which I think has some really good advise on self defence. I also just recently started up a cool crowd funding campaign, it's not you're usual crowd funding site and I hope it works out, big plan in the future if it does! On top f all this I've been working with a new blog site look.

New Look!

You've probably noticed the blog site has a new look now, I'm experimenting with different looks and layouts to spice it up. Let me know what you think! I would like to get my logo up on the title line to make the header more flashy and inviting. Maybe one day I'll be able to get a full interactive Panda's Odyssey site up and running. One step at a time.

New Video!

Here's the new video I did interviewing another friend and mentor Shihan Steve Hiscoe. As he tells us in the video, Shihan Hiscoe is the Vice-President of Hiscoe Jiu-Jitsu and the Can-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu system, His Father Kudan Ed Hiscoe being Owner and Head of the two systems. On top of being involved in the self defence oriented Jiu-Jitsu system for 41 years, since he was a child, he also runs the Canadian Jiu-Jitsu Union, a great organization of bringing the schools within Canada together to be the best in teaching and learning self defence. The video takes place at the CJU Summer camp just the other week in Sicamous BC, where it's been held for 10 years. The CJU summer camp is an amazing weekend of different styles getting together and sharing their knowledge and techniques with one another. Think of a weekend seminar of all different styles of Jiu-Jitsu held in cottage country, so much fun! here's the video, I hope you like it!

                                              
For the full YouTube page, here's the link!

I did have pictures of each one the instructors mentioned in the video, as well as a bunch of others and was going to do a write up about the camp and all the old friends I got to see again and new friends I made but in cleaning up my photo albums on my phone I accidentally erased all of them. So now all i got is the Seminar group photo and links to each instructor without all the selfies, sorry for making such a Noob mistake. Check out the links of each of theses guys, they're all great and are totally worth dropping by their clubs if you're in the area!

Shihan Steve Hiscoe: In Chilliwack BC teaching Can-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu. Self defence based Japanese Jiu-Jitsu variation of martial arts. great no nonsense stuff!
Hiscoe Jiu-Jitsu

Kyoshi Michael Seamark: Kokodo Jiu-Jitsu, the art of spinal manipulation through the wrists, as well as pressure points and shiatsu. Based in Vancouver BC. Some amazing stuff, you don't know pain until you've been in a Kokodo submission, trust me!
Sadohana Vancouver

Sensei Ari Knazan: Goshin Japanese Jiu-Jitsu in Victoria BC. Self defence focusing on a controlling techniques, also my Coach in BJJ, love his cross over techniques mixing the two styles together!
Fierce Studio

Sensei Alex Munoz: Goshin Japanese Jiu-Jitsu out of Invermere BC. Also instructs BJJ and Judo, his take on self defence and mixing the style together was great, definitely check him out if you're in the area!
Lizard BJJ Invermere 

Sensei Dave Woods: Runs 4 different schools teaching Can-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu spread out in towns around the northern Edmonton area such as Vermillion AB.
Nor-Alta Jiu-Jitsu

Sensei Quincy Jones: Teaches Can-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu in Calgary AB and likes to mix in some other aspects, like the Muay Thai he mixed in at the seminar. 
Emergent Martial Arts
                                        
The group shot from the awesome weekend of Jiu-Jitsu! 
                                            
Crowd Funding Page

So it has been some time now that Ive been debating starting a crowd funding page. I'm not particularly a fan of them because I find there's a page out for anything, when a least half the times people really just need to cut back their budget and save for a few months. On the flip side it's a great tool for getting the word out for your project and making beautiful things happen. Recently, after putting together the idea of a YouTube channel and making videos on the road as well as looking up the cost of visas and other unexpected expenses I realized I had a hard decision to make. Do I risk it and continue on as planned and see is I can make it? DO I cut out a lot of places and make it a short plain trip? Working longer and raising more money isn't an option, it's now or another 5 years from now, and I really don't feel like waiting another 5 years. So making a crowd funding page it was. After deciding to set up a crowd fund I have to decide what site to use. When I first was debating the whole situation a friend told me about a site specifically towards my type of thing, making videos. Patreon sets up a page where people can fund their projects but instead of it being a lump sump it's small monthly payments. You see you can help me on my way and make this dream of traveling the world, training in Jiu-Jitsu and making videos of all the cool people out there on the mats and in my journey with pledges as low as $1. As the pledge options increase in price so do the rewards, like free patches and other things as they develop. At the top tier you actually get to have some input on where I travel to! I looked at other pages on Patreon and the successful pages aren't the ones that can get a bunch of people pledging low amounts. If I can get just 100 people pledging only $5 I can get a lot done, covering new equipment, or surprise fees, or fixing up my videos to make them look more professional. The more pledges the more I do can do, and longer I do this and the more people and places I can show you all. Seems like a win win for everyone!

Here's my crowd fund page: The Panda's Odyssey Patreon Crowd Funding Page!
Check it out, tell me what you think and please help out any way you can, even if it's just sharing it on social media and getting the word out. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment