Translate

Thursday 4 August 2016

Panda's Odyssey Now On YouTube!

Big News!

Hello everyone!

Panda's Odyssey now has a YouTube channel!

The idea started when a classmate came to me with some helpful information on how to get this blog out there more. He mentioned doing interviews as I travel around as a way to get more viewers for the site. At first I was skeptical and brushed the idea off, but then I started thinking about it more. If the cost for equipment was low enough and easy to bring with me, then why not? So I talked to him about it again, since he has a way better handle on what's out there for equipment and how to set something like this up, and after a few ideas we came up with the simple set up I have now. It's remarkable how easy and cheap it is to set up a simple shoot with decent video and proper audio. Without going into details too much I picked up a camcorder that has a mic in port and two lapel mics, that way I can make sure to pick up good audio from both myself and the person I'm interviewing without worrying about the camera having to be close enough or too much background noise. I've only done one interview at this time but I have played around with this set up and if the rest of my interviews go half as smooth and fun then I'm really excited and look forward to this new addition to Panda's Odyssey!

Screenshot of the interview.

During the brainstorming phase of putting together this new feature I was thinking about all the cool people I've met so far while traveling and how awesome it would be to have a short sit down with them and get them to talk about how Jiu-Jitsu has made an impact in their lives. There's tons of people out there with just as big a passion for martial arts as me and each one of them has a story of how they got into training, what drives them and keeps that passion alive, and how it's helped them get to where they are now. Everyone has thoughts on different aspects of Jiu-Jitsu, sports vs self defence, different tournaments, attending seminars, or even different gis. I want to sit down with at least one person at every stop of my journey, be it the club owner, the top competing student, or the host letting me crash at their place for a few days, and record their stories for you all to see. In my short time traveling so far I can tell you that every club has cool people with interesting stories to hear and new friends to make. It's way too difficult to remember them or or try to remember their stories. Recording them and sharing with all you, while still writing my blog and sharing all the pics I take will bring you on step closer to being on this journey with me!

Coach and I taking a selfie during the interview!

So here it is, my first interview! It's only proper that it be my coach, Coach Ari Knazan of Fierce Studio. You'll notice we're just hanging out and sitting on the mats, this is because I find the best conversations happen when it's in a totally casual setting, chatting between rounds at open mat, or hanging out outside of class. That's when the truth bombs come out, not as a practiced speech or a lesson to be learned type lecture, but as one friend just chatting away their thoughts to another. I find that is when I hear something that just 'clicks' the most. Totally unintentional truth bombs, the best kind. So that is the image I'm hoping to give in these interviews, just a casual setting chatting about all sorts of aspects of Jiu-Jitsu, hearing their stories. I hope you Enjoy!  


If the embedded video doesn't work for you, here's the link! Panda's Odyssey YouTube Channel


3 comments:

  1. Panda - great site and wonderful interviews.. can't wait to see and hear more about your adventure. Take care man!
    Mike :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I look forward to making more videos and writing more blogs about my journey and especially I look forward to hearing your feedback!

      Delete